Ahh, dream trips. We all have them. The ones that we escape work with only to be hit with the harsh realization that we are actually still at work and that we could possibly NEVER make it to dream island.
Dreams trips are usually marketed at luxurious and adventurous, but also EXPENSIVE AF and with a gal whose goal at the moment is to simply make it to the end of the month with a bank account that isn’t negative, these dream locations can see quite impossible to reach. Unless. Unless we come up with a few tips where you can actually have money in the BANKKK, save up and actually make it to your dream location before your 65th birthday. Let’s get to them!
- Meet Budgette: Budgette is your new BFF. You’ll talk to her weekly (even daily if necessary) and if you can’t talk to her, you’ll save all your receipts so you can show her later and you’ll also keep her in your mind throughout the day cause that’s what BFFs do. You need a budget and if nicknaming it something cute like Budgette gets you to keep up with one, then you’re golden.
- Learn to be a planner: Procrastinating is way more fun, believe us, we know. But when it comes to traveling, procrastinating is for the rich and you wouldn’t be reading this post if you were rich, meaning, you gotta plan ahead. Look into different flights, budget friendly hotels, best ways to get around, etc. Have that prepared so you know what your investment is.
- Change your small daily habits: be happy with a cheaper lunch, don’t go out as often, limit your Starbucks intake, shop at Trader Joe’s, cook at home. Haven’t you heard all of this before? Bet you have. It’s time to take it seriously.
- Get rid of moneysucks: This includes all the subscriptions you can most definitely live without, the gym membership you keep up with but never actually use and anything else that charges your bank account automatically that you can live without for a few months.
- Don’t shy away from investing: Investing your money is one of the easiest ways to save up without feeling it break the bank. There are many apps that help you start with small investments, or that invest all the cents from your card purchases. Start small and watch your money grow itself.
- Sell your stuff: Back to the basics we go. Selling your unwanted personal belongings is also a simple way to save up and clean up. Get rid of used clothes, books, or furniture using all the technology we have on hand today. Poshmark, facebook marketplace, ebay and thredup are just a few of the websites/apps you can use to bring in some side income by selling your stuff.
- Start a side hustle: Now a days, you can make some extra cash quickly with things like instacart, doordash, and even online tutoring with VIPKIDS. If none of these interest you, you can also become a GirlFriends Host! If you’d like to learn more about being a GirlFriends Host, you can visit this PAGE.
- Keep your plans a priority: Put it on your calendar, set a daily reminder on your phone so that you don’t get distracted with day to day splurges that you could be saving instead.
- Change your traveler mindset: Remind yourself that if you work hard, you can travel again. Use this mindset to go on mini vacations instead of long ones because you know you’ll be back. Shorter vacations also means less time off of work, so you can go right back to saving for your next adventure.
- Shop around for deals: not only deals for your trip, but take on couponing, saving where you can on every purchase so you can take advantage of the extra savings and put it toward your vacay funds!
All in all, make saving fun, make it a game you want to play over and over again because you’re constantly winning (and traveling). Don’t be afraid of hard work and remind yourself it’s only for a short period of time.
So, after reading all of this, where are you saving up to go?? Let us know your dream vacation spot in the comments below!